- Q?Do your upcycled rain barrels contain Bisphenol A (BPA)?
A.Our food grade drums do not contain any BPA.
- Q?How do you prevent bacteria and mosquito growth in rain barrels?
A.Epoch Rain Barrels are made from High Density Polyethylene (HDP) plastic food grade drums which do not allow sunlight penetration. This helps prevent bacteria and mosquito growth. Additionally, screens at the top of our barrels help to filter out debris and insects.
- Q?What is “Upcycling”?
A.According to Wikipedia, Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value. Epoch Rain Barrels are re-purposed food-grade drums that were destined for the landfill.
- Q?How do you pronounce “Epoch”?
A.We pronounce it "Epic".
- Q?How do I install an Epoch Rain Barrel?
A.1. Choose a location near a downspout
2. Level the ground and place paver blocks as a base
3. With empty rain barrel in place, measure the new downspout length that is needed.
4. Remove and cut the existing downspout. Remember, measure twice and cut once.
5. Re-attach the downspout elbow or the downspout diverter.
6. Set the rain barrel in place and connect it to the downspout.
- Q?Why is rainwater better for plants and gardens?
A.Rainwater is highly oxygenated, free of the salts, inorganic ions, and fluoride compounds contained in tap water that accumulate in the soil over time and potentially harm plant roots. Use of rainwater in your garden dilutes this impact, making plants more drought-tolerant, healthy, and strong.
- Q?How do rain barrels reduce runoff pollution?
A.When it rains, runoff picks up soil, fertilizer, oil, pesticides and other contaminants and pushes them into other areas of the landscape. These pollutants can increase algae growth in lakes, alter the habitat for fish, and even make lakes and oceans dangerous for recreational activities. Your water collecting stops some of this damaging flow.
- Q?What is a rain barrel?
A.Rain barrels collect and hold rainwater from rooftops, which can be used for watering ornamental plants, gardens, and lawns. See this article for more details.
- Q?What sizes are available?
A.Epoch Rain Barrels come in 55 gallons (available in black and terracotta).