Whether it’s your first year gardening, or your thumb has been green for longer than you can remember, we have come across some clever and helpful tips to get your garden growing bigger and better than ever before.
- Calcium Isn’t Just For Your Bones
- Ever heard someone suggest putting eggshells in your garden? It’s because the calcium their shell provides is beneficial to the growth of your garden. Just like your body absorbs nutrients better when they’re ground up, crunching up eggshells makes it easier for your garden to absorb the calcium in the eggshell.
- Epsom Salt… For Your Garden.
- This “best kept secret” has been around for a long time, so how does it work? Epsom salt is rich in magnesium and sulfate, two nutrients that are essential to growing a lovely and healthy garden. Not all plants will benefit from Epsom salt but adding about a tablespoon of Epsom salt once or twice a month to plants like like roses, tomatoes and peppers can help them thrive since these plants tend to be deficient in magnesium.
- Coffee Filters in Your Potted Plants
- Watering your indoor plants in the sink can be a huge pain! Not only does it create a mess under the pot, you typically lose a lot of soil down the drain too. Placing a coffee filter in the bottom of your potted plants can prevent this by allowing the water to drain, while keeping the dirt contained.
- Bye-Bye Invasive Plants
- Invasive plants keeping you down? To fix this problem, all you have to do is cut the bottom off a plastic pot and place it in the ground! Using this technique will not only help you control the size of the plant once it matures, it’ll help protect the plants around it. Using the plastic pot will limit the reach of the root system helping prevent the plant from growing too large and overtaking your garden. Read more details here.
- Homemade Herbicide (Weed Killer)
- Combined, these three every-day household items make for a safe and effective weed killer! Bye-bye chemical agents, hello home-made herbicide. Since you probably already have these ingredients on hand in the kitchen, feel free to use it immediately to get out of pulling weeds.
- This solution can be harmful to grass and other plants like flowers, so be careful when spraying it. It’s best used in places like sidewalk cracks and landscape borders. If you spray in direct sunlight, you’re likely to see results faster.
Epoch Rain Barrels and accessories are great additions to get your garden going. Shop our newest items here.
*Ideas Via: http://www.listotic.com/20-insanely-clever-gardening-tips-and-ideas/9/